Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fire House Tour

Ever heard of E.D.I.T.H.? That's "Exit Drills In The Home" for those of you who have forgotten your elementary school days. I remember resenting them for taking my name and making it even nerdier than I already was. But I'm so over that now, right?

This week was Fire Prevention Week! In honor of said week we took a tour through our new fire station with Star's husband Lee, the Fireman. Or, anti-fireman, really. ( By that I mean he is anti-fire.) The kids loved his laid back attitude towards all the cool stuff--"You want to climb all over the ambulance? Go for it! Climb the firetruck, too! Want to spray the hose? Want to hold the "jaws of life"? Just kidding, it weighs more than you do. So does my fire gear but put it on anyway!" You can imagine the kids had a good time.


And here I am asking what they would do if my house were on fire: "How would you get water? There are no hydrants out where we live. Could you siphon water from the ditch? But they turned that off today. So, could you knock the cap off our well and pump water out of that? Huh? Couldja? How are you going to save my house!?!"
Yeah, I'm about as much fun as an exit drill in the home.

What with a dozen kids and all that equipment, an accident was inevitable. You can see that Anderson is disfigured for life. Just kidding! The only scars are emotional.


Oh! We got a new camera! Hooray! Now we are waiting for a new memory card to come in the mail because the one that came with the camera holds about ten pictures. Sheesh.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

I've never heard of E.D.I.T.H. That's so funny though. We are going to talk about this (and earthquake preparedness) tonight for FHE, so I think we'll all learn about EDITH!!!!! I can't believe how big your kids are looking!!!

Mom & Dad said...

Thanks for sharing your tour of our beautiful new fire station. Did you ever find out how they're going to save our houses? Glad to know Lee is our fireman -- anti-fire man.

Star said...

I'm so glad that your kids had fun, Lee loves visitors. It's too bad nobody got hurt, think of the amazing response time!